Hey dudsons,
Happy Chinese New Year! 新年快乐,身体健康,万事如意。These are just some sayings that are pretty mandatory to be said during the Chinese New Year. You say it to your elders, and you can just say it whenever you see someone. This is called 拜年 (pr. bye nee-ann) It's just like how we say "Merry Christmas" during the Christmas season, but the Chinese have many different sayings.
So today I woke up early, because it means that the earlier you get up, the more fortune (福 pr. fok [like the swear word except in a chinese accent :)])you receive. I didn't wake up considerably early; it was just around 8:30: the time when I'm supposed to be at school. On New Years day, we're supposed to wear new clothes, new shoes, and sometimes new bedding. (This is how my family does it) It all depends on how far you want to take it. I mean you can't be pressured to wear new clothes, especially if you can't afford the money to purchase it. However, if you wear new clothes, it represents wealth (富贵 pr. foo guay). If you wear new shoes it means that you're "stepping" on the people (小人 pr. xee-ao wren) that secretly talk behind your back and betray you; it essentially means your enemies.
You might already know this, but children get red envelopes with money inside (红包 pr. hong bao). There are many legends why this is, and there's one on Wikipedia in case you want to check it out. Anyways, I got some from my family and some family friends, so that's pretty cool. I don't think I received as much as last year though, but it's still money and every dollar counts! My parents also gave me money, but there was a ritual to it. I have to give a cup of tea to my dad and then I refill it a little more to receive more fortune. Then I repeat the ritual to my mom.
--Cyndi Forrest
No comments:
Post a Comment